Search the Membership
Search the Case Studies
Search the Articles
MirandaNet Fellowship Profiles (MirandaNet Archive - as of March 2015)
Won-Joo Suh (서원주)
I am reading for a PhD in Museum Education at Institute of Education, University of London. I am also working as a docent in the British Museum and teaching Korean at SOAS, University of London. After I graduated from Yonsei University (Education and Psychology) in South Korea, I did an MA in Comparative Education at Institute of Education. Then, I studied Japanese (Bekka) in Keio University in Japan. I am a qualified teacher (Secondary) and worked as an education officer in Human Resource Development Department in a private company.
My main research interests are museum learning, intercultural understanding and cultural history. Currently, I am doing research on adult visitors’ learning of other cultures from museum experiences. I am using Personal Meaning Mapping (PMM) and narrative analysis as research methods.
- Royal Geographical Society:Fellow (2008-present)
- The National Archives of Korea: Archival Research Fellow (2007-2008)
- SOAS Language Centre, University of London: Teacher (2002-2009)
- e-Learning in Museums and Galleries
- virtual museums
- Korea-related Archives in UK (maps and documents): The National Archives of Korea
- The British Museum (2004) 대영박물관 [The British Museum Souvenir Guide, Korean Edition], trans. Won-Joo Suh, London: The British Museum Press.
- Won-Joo Suh (2007) 'The Educational Implication of the Term of the 'Museum': An Etymological Approach,' The Journal of Museum Education 1: 67-84.
- Won-Joo Suh (2008) 'The Renaissance Project and Educational Outcomes of Regional Museums in England,' The Journal of Museum Education 2: 57-79.
- Won-Joo Suh (2010) 'Personal Meaning Mapping (PMM): A Qualitative Research Method for Museum Education', The Journal of Museum Education 4: 61-82.
- Won-Joo Suh (2010) 'Museum Education for Communities: Its Possibilities and Limits', in Jong-Ho Choe et al. Museum Education in Korea, Seoul: MoonUmSa.
- Won-Joo Suh (2010) 'History of Museum and Gellery Education in Europe and America', in Jong-Ho Choe et al. Museum Education in Korea, Seoul: MoonUmSa.
- Hooper-Greenhill, Eilean (2010/Forthcoming) 박물관의 교육적 역할 [The Educational Role of the Museum], trans. Won-Joo Suh et al., Seoul: HongMoonKwan.
- Suh, Won-Joo (2011/Forthcoming) 'Influence of Politics and Economy on the Buildings of the National Museum of Korea', in Rudiger Frank, et al. (eds) Korea Yearbook Vol. 5, Leiden: Brill.
- 5 October 2004 “Museum Education for All: Breaking Down the Barriers to Museums in Britain”, CECA, 20th General Conference of ICOM, Seoul, Korea
- 7 September 2006 “The Wandering Museum in a Changing Society: The National Museum through a Political History in South Korea”, Museums and Galleries History Group International Symposium, Newcastle, UK
- 29 May 2007 “Improving Visitors' Learning Experience in Museums: Communication and Environment”, ATINER 9th International Conference on Education, Athens, Greece
- 5 September 2007 “The History of the Museum as an educational Institution: Its Long-held Role since the Ancient Times”, BERA 2007 Annual Conference, London, UK
- 17 May 2008 "National Competitiveness and Museum Education in Britain", Korean Association of Museum Education Conference, General Assembly of Korean Museum Association 2008, Seoul, Korea
MirandaNet Members can go to the Log on/off area to edit their own profiles.